Mar 6, 2008

Friday Find: Chocolate and Steel Jewelry Design


My husband and I love mid-century modern furniture. So much so that on our last trip from Argentina, we returned with an Eames lounge chair that has been in his family since original production. When I found this necklace on Etsy, I couldn’t resist hinting to Diego that I found my perfect gift.

Chocolate and Steel designer Christine Street created this sweet little bird pendant from the Eames House Bird. She even designed a necklace inspired by the Eames Lounge Chair Wood (LCW) that is next on my list (the chair too).



Chocolate and Steel’s collection of necklaces, rings and bracelets currently focuses on five categories: Carved and Sculpted, Bold and Colorful, Cut and Paste, Branding and Set in Stone. I find her work so appealing because it is understated and simple with a clever twist.



“I wear jewelry because it makes me feel present,” said Christine. “I hear the *clink* of my ring against the table or the faint *ding* from my necklace pendant sliding down the chain. I make jewelry for myself and for the pure enjoyment I get from making it and wearing it.”


Her jewelry is made using precious metal clay that is shaped and designed before being fired in a kiln at 1650 degrees Fahrenheit! The piece then undergoes an oxidization process and a final brushing and polishing treatment. It is quite a labor-intensive process in which Christine works her magic!

Chocolate and Steel is based in Los Angeles. You can find her jewelry in her Etsy shop, Dawanda, Home Grown Market and Boutique Coquette. She even does amazing custom work. Check out her blog post on a custom pendant she did based on a client’s picture of a helicopter!

No comments: