Dec 21, 2007

Homemade Crème Sandwich Cookies



My Dad recently celebrated his 60th birthday. My Mom threw a fun party at their home to celebrate the big occasion. For the dessert table, I made a homemade version of one of my Dad’s favorite cookies, Oreos. I found several recipes online. After reading through several, I selected part of different recipes that highlighted what I thought would result in a crunchy chocolate cookie and a creamy, yet firm vanilla center. I was also short on time, so I wanted to create a simple recipe. The cookies received rave reviews; “even better than Oreos.” These are a yummy treat when served with a cold glass of milk, organic of course! Here is the recipe that I created:

Cookies:
· 1 (18 oounce) package chocolate cake mix
· 2 eggs
· 2-3 tablespoons water (first add 2 tablespoons water, if mixture is too dry, add the 3rd.)
· 2 tablespoons oil (I used canola.)
· ½ cup cocoa

Blend the cake mix, eggs, water, oil and cocoa. Form the dough into a ball and let stand for 20 minutes. Roll the dough into ½ inch balls. Grease the bottom of a smooth-bottom drinking glass. Dip the glass into the cocoa and flatten a ball with the glass bottom. Dip the glass into the cocoa before flattening each dough ball. Place the cookies on a parchment cookie sheet. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove cookies immediately. Flatten any that have puffed with a spatula. (None of mine did, though). Let the cookies cool for about 20 minutes before frosting.

Crème Center:
· 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese
· ¼ cup butter
· 1 tablespoon vanilla
· 4-6 cups sifted powdered sugar

Blend all of the crème ingredients together until smooth. If the crème is too soft, add the additional cups of sugar one cup at a time. Frost the bottom of a cookie and add another cookie on top. Viola! Enjoy!

No comments: