Jul 18, 2008

Friday Find: Lunapads

”Lunapads.com”Lunapads.com


I finally made the switch to reusable, natural menstrual products. So, probably some of you are gasping “too much information.” Why is it so taboo to talk about something all women experience EVERY MONTH? I just don’t get it.



For my birthday, my mom gave me a Lunapad Starter Kit. For the past six months, I have been telling myself that when I run out of the disposable stuff, I am not buying anymore. My birthday present was perfect timing because I depleted my disposable supply the month prior. Ever since using cloth diapers with both of my children, I have felt guilty about using disposable products myself.

 

Did you know that 12 billon disposable feminine products are used annually? Like disposable diapers, these products aren’t decomposing either. The average woman may toss 250 to 300 pounds of disposable pads, tampons and applicators during her lifetime. This disposable waste ends up in landfills or sewage treatment plants. And even more disgusting is that tampon applicators from sewage outfalls are commonly found on beaches. So many in fact that artist Jay Critchley created a 13’ sculpture of the Statue of Liberty from 4,000 plastic tampon applicators found on Cape Cod beaches.

Many Lunapad devotees rave about the change in their attitude toward their period after making the big switch. Menstruation is a powerful force for women – without it we wouldn’t be able to bear children, another quite powerful force. Shouldn’t we honor that power as women? This happy Lunapad customer says it all:

“As I rinse my Lunapads, I think, I am releasing all the old energy from the past month and making way for the new. I like being more aware and in touch with my cycle and with what is actually happening in my body.” Renee S.



Lunapads are made out of soft cotton (much better than plasticy, synthetic feeling disposable pads) and come in a variety of fun prints and colors – even organic cotton. The pad (looks like a wing-shaped pad) snaps around your panties. Depending on absorption needed, you can add liners. You can change the liner without having to change the pad. I did find the maxi pad a bit bulky for daytime use, but great for night. I loved the minipads with or without the liners. I think for my next order, I will get some pantyliners (no option for adding liners) and the DivaCup. The Lunapanties also look interesting – a bikini undie with a built in pad. Check out Lunapads’ kits and easy to understand selection guide to get you started.



So, some may call me a treehugger, but I know that I won’t be using disposables anymore. I bet if you give cloth pads a try, you will be surprised to agree with me.



* All pictures are credited to Lunapads.

1 comment:

Brianna said...

I saw your link on the luna pads group on facebook. I love my diva cup, and I love my liners. I have already gotten one of my friends hooked on them as well. I will also never go back to disposable...this is just so much better!
www.alwayscountingtothree.blogspot.com