Jan 23, 2008

Quiet Book



I was so excited to find 26 Lively Letters by Barbara Williams and Carol Grundmann at the Friends of the Library shop at the Tuolumne County Library. One of my favorite keepsakes from my childhood is the quiet activity book that my Mom made me. Each mom from the co-op preschool I went to as a child made a page for the quiet book. Each mom had to make enough versions of the page for each child in the class. When they were finished, each child had a unique quiet book created by all the moms working together. I love the idea of the moms crafting together to create a book. I love my cloth book that reflects the craft style of the late seventies and the individual work of the different moms. There are cloth pages with felt appliqués to practice sorting, tying shoes, learning the alphabet and using buttons and zippers.

As I got older and thought about having kids, I couldn’t wait to make them a quiet book. My only problem is that I don’t have twenty other moms to work on the project with me! So, I talked my Mom into working on it with me. I am going to try to make a few pages for Lautaro’s birthday. Why do I always wait until the last minute to do my projects?

1 comment:

hooli said...

Dear Jennifer,
Thanks for stopping by my blog this week. Would you believe I didn't have a pattern? I did look to a quiet book my mother made me 30+ years ago for inspiration. Many of the things I just kinda free-hand cut from felt.
One idea I did have, after it was done, was to look through coloring books for interactive activities.
Good luck, and let me know how your book goes. Stop by, again.
handmadebyhooli